Review: Damaged by H.M. Ward

Damaged by H.M. Ward
 This book was a bit of a guilty pleasure topic for me which is the main reason I decided to read it. Starting out, Sydney doesn't date much. But her good intentioned friend likes to make sure Sydney is at least trying to have a love life by setting her up on dates. On one of her many blind dates Sydney decides to take a different approach to her more reserved attitude. Fast forward a few days to the start of a new school year. Sydney is a Senior at university and is working as a Teaching Assistant for her favorite professor. When tragedy strikes, her job switches and the class she used to love is now at a whole different level.



Review:

Starting out I did not realize this was part of an unfinished series. Book 2 is out later in June, 2013. That being said, I was a little disappointed with the cliffhanger ending. Of course I could have read the reviews that screamed that from the beginning, but I like to take some risks in life ;)
 But, for $0.99 I have to say it was worth the read (~350 pgs) and the original plot was settled enough to make the transition deeper into the characters lives in book 2. You're not left completely hanging in the end.

As far as character development goes, it's pretty good. However, it's greatly one sided. You get to know Syndey pretty well and understand why she is the way that she is. Peter's life is pretty hit and miss and while you kind of get some back story on him in the last chapter, most of it is being saved for book 2. Because of that it was hard to connect with both characters. Throughout most of the book I found myself asking, "Does Peter really love her as much as she loves him?" Even though the author had clearly stated his intentions and devotions.

I liked Sydney's character, and the topic that this book touches on is unfortunately one to which some can relate to. Generally bad relationships tend to leave a bitter taste in people's mouth - especially what Sydney had gone through. I think Ward's writing covers some of that type of experience tactfully and truthfully. Personally, it was easy to relate to on various levels.

If you're looking for a steamy romance, this is not it. Though the way the character's connection (a.k.a. sexual tension) is described is pretty good. In the end though it kind of had you wondering how long they were going to keep the charade up.

Overall, I finished the book in a matter of hours and it kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time. It had a slightly different subject matter (Student/Teacher with a slightly darker edge) than what I have been reading lately, so it kept my interest. However, it is still a story of two damaged people looking to fix each other., so be forewarned.

(Stripped and Arrangement are standalone series following the lives of Peter's brothers)

Ratings:


Steam: ***** (Tension)
Characters: ****
Plot (originality) : ****
Writing Quality: *****








Amazon: 4.2
Good Reads: 3.87







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Author Khaled Talib discusses development of his newest thriller "Gun Kiss"

Feature and Follow #10 (Christmas book haul)

Feature and Follow #6 (One book for life)