Feature and Follow #12 (Plot change-up)

What is Feature and Follow?

F&F is a weekly blog hop that consists of book bloggers. It is hosted byAlison Can Read and Parajunkee. The rules of involvement are simple:
1.) Link up on the blog hop Linky gadget below this post, 2.) follow the hosts via their network of choice, 3.) follow the weekly featured blog(s) via their network of choice (listed as "featured" in the blog list below), and lastly, 4) check out the rest of the blogs on the hop! If you become a new follower of a blog, let them know and they will follow you back.

The F&F is a great way to network, meet other book bloggers, and gain new followers. Even more so, it's a great way to drive fun discussion on a weekly topic.

This week, the topic is:

Change the Plot. If you could, what book would you change the ending or a plot thread? Go ahead and do it...change it.

There are two FF posts today. One by Jessi (The Book Cove) re-writing Thief by Tarryn Fisher) and one by author L.A. Kelley (co-blogger) writing her hilarious take on Twilight!
------------------------------

Tweaking Twilight (by L.A. Kelley)

The instant Edward changed Bella into a vampire he sensed something had gone awry. “Are you feeling all right, my love?” he asked with tender concern. “You seem tense.”

“I suppose your change went perfectly,” she sneered, “because you are so goddamn special.” 

“The change can be a trifle disorienting at first,” he said lovingly, although a trifle confused at her attitude. “Perhaps, if you sipped a little blood…”

“Don’t tell me what to do!” she shrieked. “You’re always telling me what to do. And stop sparkling in my face. It’s so @#%&$ annoying.”

“My love, you know I can’t help it—”

“You’re doing it on purpose,” she sobbed. “You never listen to me.”

A sinking feeling settled in the pit of his stomach. Oh, no. It couldn’t be. “Bella…my love…how close are you to your period?”

“That’s your answer to everything, isn’t it?”

Edward swallowed hard and forced a smile. “Bella…?”

“Okay, fine,” she snapped. “I have a little PMS. It will be gone in few days. Deal with it.”

Edward turned paler than usual. His sparkle died. “Bella, you have been gifted with immortality. Nothing about you will ever change.”

Bella’s eyes narrowed. Her nostrils flared. “You mean,” she hissed, “I’ll have PMS forever?”

“I explained all this before.” Edward regretted the sharpness of his tone as soon as the words left his lips.

Bella picked up a letter opener on the desk. She ran her thumb along the edge. “You’re saying it’s my fault.”

“No, no.” One of Edward’s facial muscles twitched uncontrollably as he backed toward the door. “Of course not.” Using superspeed he bolted across the threshold an instant before the letter opener imbedded in the wall.

“Burn in hell, you pasty-faced twerk,” Bella screeched.

****

People in Forks still remark on the strange day when two blurs raced through the center street of town and then disappeared into the woods. Some say on moonless nights, you can hear the haunting echoes of a woman shriek, “Sparkle this, asshole!”

----------------------------------



L. A. Kelley is the author of The Naughty List. She’s married with three kids and lives in Florida where the heat and humidity has driven everyone slightly mad. She never cleans under her sofa. You can find her at http://lakelleythenaughtylist.blogspot.com ---------->







----------------------------------

How Olivia and Caleb's relationship in Thief should have played out (by Jessi)
I WAS almost tempted to pick Veronica Roth's Divergent and rewrite the controversial ending to the trilogy. But I won't ;-) 

Instead I'm going with Thief (Love me with Lies series) by Tarryn Fisher. As much as I loved the series overall (find my review here), it frustrated me beyond belief. I can't remember the last time I hated a certain character so much (Olivia), but yet had some deeply buried part of my brain silently rooting her on. Or at least silently rooting her on hoping that her conscience would appear. The big dislike in my review was that the timeline was confusing and exhausting. Basically these two people (Caleb and Olivia) strung each other around for ~10 years - playing mind games and sabotaging each others lives out of an obsessive "love". 

I would still keep the timeline, because it's interesting to see a character's thoughts change from when they're 18 with not many cares in the world to when they're 28 and working a highly successful job. Caleb would still start out married to "Red" and yet always wondering about the "what if" involving Olivia in his past relationship. But, this time around, Caleb would actually have memory loss from an accident (versus his pretending to in the story). Olivia would then try to take advantage of that to get back with him (as she does in the story) but it would end up being more of a revelation for her that they're completely different people now (versus them forcing themselves on each other when it's obvious that they have no chemistry outside of the bedroom). Olivia would then amicably part ways at the end and Caleb would be none the wiser of his former life with her...until the last scene when he wakes up from a coma and realizes that none of the present meetings with Olivia ever happened. But he is no longer obsessive over the "what if" factor because he knows deep down that it would have never worked out.
http://www.bloglovin.com/en/blog/9400171
And that's my re-visioning of Thief! 

Has anyone else read this series? If you haven't I highly recommend it, but be prepared to be frustrated out of your mind with emotional whiplash and vindictive characters. 





Comments

  1. This is a popular pick today. I've never read the books and feel i'd change a few things about it regardless :)

    Stop by Itching for Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was really funny. Old follower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, appreciate the comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good ones! Caleb and Olivia's story was exhausting for me when I read those books. Thank you for stopping by.

    New Bloglovin follower

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by earlier. I totally get what you were saying. We've all been done wrong by authors, since we read so much we're bound to get disappointed sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great guest post and hilarious Twilight ending :) ha!
    I haven't read the book you listed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haven't read these books so I apologize for not reading your post I don't want to spoil them. Thanks for the visit :)
    Rimsha@Ramblings of a Bookworm

    ReplyDelete
  8. lol about the Twilight ending. I haven't read the Thief. Thanks for stopping by and I hope you're having a great week!

    ~Pam @ Moonlight Reader

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lol! That twilight ending was so funny!!! Imagine that happening! Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I loved tarryn Fisher's series. Thanks for stopping by myblog. New Bloglovin and G+ follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a serious love-hate relationship. I really did love the series. But I was so frustrated with the characters by the end that I felt like it was me that had been dragged through a tumultuous 10 year relationship that went no where haha. I guess that's a sign of good writing ;-)

      Delete
  11. Thanks for stopping by everyone! I've enjoyed all of your re-visionings :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved the change to Twilight. I was laughing out loud. I'm sure my husband thinks I'm crazy!

    New email follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terri, tell him you're PMSing. He'll understand.

      Delete
  13. LOL I love the changes to Twilight that was hilarious.
    New follower via Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  14. That was the best rewrite ever! I would have gladly sat through an entire book of PMSing Bella! :) Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm following on BlogLovin'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristin. I think this also explains why Victoria was such a harpy.

      Delete
  15. That Twilight rewrite is hilarious! Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looool, the poor thing! I sympathize with vampire Bella. Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Author Khaled Talib discusses development of his newest thriller "Gun Kiss"

Feature and Follow #10 (Christmas book haul)

Feature and Follow #6 (One book for life)