Book Review: Breathe (Sea Breeze #1) by Abbi Glines

It should be of no shock to most of you that I'm back with a review on an Abbi Glines novel, Breathe (Sea Breeze series). I love Abbi because I can always count on her to write an enthralling and drool worthy books. While many of the story lines are quite similar, I've always said that a good writer can make you forget those similarities and feel like you're reading something completely novel. So for those of you looking for something totally different in the NA world, this probably isn't for you. For the rest - read on!

(Blurb)Sadie White's summer job isn't going to be on the beach life-guarding or working at rental booths like most kids her age. With her single mother's increasing pregnancy and refusal to work, Sadie has to take over her mother's job as a domestic servant for one of the wealthy summer families on a nearby island.

When the family arrives at their summer getaway, Sadie is surprised to learn that the owner of the house is Jax Stone, one of the hottest teen rockers in the world. If Sadie hadn't spent her life raising her mother and taking care of the house she might have been normal enough to be excited about working for a rock star.

Even though Sadie isn't impressed by Jax's fame, he is drawn to her. Everything about Sadie fascinates Jax but he fights his attraction. Relationships never work in his world and as badly as he wants Sadie, he believes she deserves more. By the end of the summer, Jax discovers he can't breathe without Sadie.


What I liked

Yes, this story can be shelved under the "opposite side of the tracks" category. But it's dealing with a  gorgeous  rockstar and a hardworking girl just trying to support her family - and who can say no to that?! (Others have more willpower than I do)

Breath has a bit of a Maid In Manhattan (Yes that JLo movie circa 2002) feel to it. Sadie ends up going to work for her mother-with-issues and Sadie just happens to luck out and get to clean the house of the hottest musician around, Jax. There's even a tiny slip up scene in which they meet that is reminiscent of the movie. But honestly, I loved it. Sadie could hold her own and her quips kept Jax on his feet. And we all know where the ending of this book is going...

What I didn't like

It's hard to say whether or not this book met all expectations or not. I've read a majority of Glines' books, but all have been out of order. This is the first book in the series I've just now read after reading all of the others. The writing style didn't seem any different from later books. But the story didn't grip me like the others did. I liked the characters, story, dialog, but didn't love them. I couldn't fully immerse myself. Normally I would attribute my lackluster feelings to having read too many of these type of books in a short period of time. But this was the first book that I picked up after about 2 months of not casually reading! (*gasp*) Which leads me to believe it just wasn't the best of her work.

Rating: 3.5  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Author Khaled Talib discusses development of his newest thriller "Gun Kiss"

Feature and Follow #10 (Christmas book haul)

Feature and Follow #6 (One book for life)