Book Talk: What happened to my bookshelves?!

Why don't I have any bookshelves?! Is the more accurate question.

Once upon a time, in a place far, far away, I thought this to be a silly question. I had an 8ft book case (seemingly small, now) stacked with my most recent reads, boxes galore of books from growing up, and whatever was left in spill-over crammed on night stands, TV stands, and dressers, taking the place of lamps, TVs and clothes (…priorities…). Once I moved into my own luxurious 860 sqft apartment with one bedroom, a shared kitchen-living-dining-room, and not enough storage (first world problems, I know) I had to leave my shelves/stands of books behind in storage.

Now I look around my apartment and I’m saddened as I realize that I don’t have that beautiful ceiling high library that I’ve always dreamed of. In fact, I don’t even have a shelf. A single shelf! I have a couple of books from the 30’s and 40’s displayed next to the dog treat box, a handful of books stuffed on the only available foot of space in my closet, and a couple of randoms that have been shoved along the side of the bed.


What do I have instead? Multiple kindles…which is kind of sad that I felt the need for more than one but we won’t get into those issues…

I didn't really get into eBooks until about 2012. Now, I find it kind of funny that I had a Kindle for a good year prior and never used it. One day I decided to buy 50 Shades of Grey and I didn’t want to drive across towns to a bookstore that would have it. I remembered I had a Kindle and that was that.  It’s funny how some seemingly small change in pace changes the way you go about things. After that, I realized how much I liked having just about every book title at my fingers rather than driving 25 minutes to the nearest full-sectioned book store. 

Gradually I got used to reading press for hours on a computer screen. I still purchased my favorite authors when they came out with new releases (because I felt obligated to be a true fan – if being true meant buying physical copies). Over the course of that year I started waning from bound purchases all together without really realizing it.  Part of that had to do with the economical savings of an eBook versus a bound book as a college student. Then I had one of those realizations that happen when you casually glance up from your Kindle adorned with dozens of new reads and then glance at your non-existent book collection in front of you.

I still love bound books and I make an effort to purchase them every now and then so that I can keep adding to my collection. I love the look of books on a shelf. But I still don’t have that shelf. The books remain -- stacked in my closet until I have a space to put them out. Some day.

So how about you? Do you still have a loaded bookshelf or have you noticed yourself relying on technology more? Vote in the December Poll at the top of the sidebar and leave your thoughts below!

December poll results: Do you still have loaded bookshelves?
Yes, but mostly older reads
  0 (0%)
Yes, and I frequently purchase books to add
  6 (60%)
 
No, I used to but use more eBooks now
  2 (20%)
 
No, I don't have any room
  2 (20%)
 




November Poll: Are you participating in NaNoWriMo?
YES!! And it's my first - 13%
YES!! And I'm a vet! - 6%
Not this year, but I have before - 20%
Nope. - 60%

Comments

  1. I definitely have WAY more Kindle books now. Like you, I originally didn't think I'd like ebooks all that much, but I've found that there are some real benefits to reading on the Kindle. I still love real books, but I read a lot more digital nowadays.

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes reading so much easier. And...if I were to have every book in hard copy that I've read...well, I'd need a library.

      Delete
  2. I have an e-reader as well and I never look back. I think it suits my lifestyle better because I I read casually and I'm not a collector, so I prefer ebooks. I don't have to worry about dusty bookshelf either, yay! No need to feel bad, I think, do whatever floats your boat :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got the new Nook GlowLight and I love it. Before, I had the Nook Color, which was basically a small tablet. I admit, I don't think it was supposed to be a tablet, but my husband words in IT and he "rewired it." I found that when I had a tablet instead of an e-reader, I was always concerned about having wi-fi access or just checking "one more thing." Truly, having the e-reader has made a reader without paper. It's so easy, and I don't really notice. The only books I keep are the ones from which I teach, or may teach, or are no available as e-books and are from a small press.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I especially love the improvement ereaders have made in their multiple back light sources. My first kindle didn't have that and it was really limiting during travel or places with poor lighting. And computer screens sometimes don't have a dimmer function or any light adjustment -- which can be a problem with normal tablets too. And so true about the wifi. The ereaders without total internet function are far less distracting

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Feature and Follow #6 (One book for life)

Feature and Follow #10 (Christmas book haul)

Feature and Follow #23 (favorite reads of 2014)