Blog Talk: My favorite book blogging communities

Previously I posted on how to have a successful first year blogging. My biggest tie-together point was that it is absolutely necessary to have community involvement if you want readers and other bloggers to know that you exist. I included many of the social media sites that I’m involved with that have helped to connect my blog with others. But when it comes to community engagement, I don’t consider Facebook and Twitter on the top of the list. Mostly because of all of the other posts they get covered up in on newsfeeds and the wonky visibility ratings that these sites casually roll out with every month. Compiled here are a couple of the sites that I go to whenever I am on my blog. These are sites that have a variety of discussion posts, blogging and writing tips, and a general friendly environment. If you’ve been around the book blog/writing world for a while you’ve probably heard of these. If you have others to suggest, please leave links in the comments!


In no particular order...

1.       Book Blogs (NING)
Pros:
I love this site because it is one of the most comprehensive sites that brings authors, publishers, marketers, bloggers, and readers together.

There are 100’s of very active groups to get involved in based on interest. Unlike many G+ communities which go dead or are spammed a lot, many of these groups are pretty well moderated and the activity stays current

It’s another place to blog and keep track of your favorites

Cons:
There are a lot of hit and run posts. AKA link dropping. Scan a community once you join to determine if it’s something that’s actually stimulating for you or if it’s another “drop a review in the comments” group. Many of these comment drops end up lost and dead.


2.       LibraryThing 

Pros:
Much like book blogs, it has a comprehensive community and many groups to join
You can specifically search for discussion on authors, books, genres, etc.

Cons:
The classic lit and politic threads seem to stay very lively. Those aren’t my genres and so I often find myself searching for a good New Adult thread or contemporary book discussion thread that is to my taste.


3.       Bookblogging.net
Pros:
It has a variety of groups that you can get involved with based on genre and general interest.
It has groups separated by region/country. This is a nice way to connect with others about more than books.

Cons:
It seems to have a smaller pool of users but to be fair it is only about a year old. It has great potential!



4.       The Classics Club
Pros:
The classics club is exactly that – a place to reach out and talk about your favorite classics.

They have a pretty extensive list of blog members, so if you’re looking to peruse some new blogs that is the place to find them

Cons:
I’m not actively involved with this site so I don’t have any cons. It looks like a great place that stays UTD with well written posts



Pros:
This is my all-time favorite Google+ community. Even over mine! One reason that it’s so great is because it is tightly moderated. You must be a book blogger, you can only drop links on certain days, and you must contribute to discussion. It may sound strict, but if you’re looking for a true community then why else would you join?

Cons:
I don't find this to be an issue at all, but if you do have a link that you'd like to share, it can only be shared on Wednesday or Saturday. 



I could probably go on with this list, but these are really the best ones I’ve come across and I don’t feel the need to Google every single community. Maybe someday I’ll feel the itch to make a comprehensive site list. But so many are come-and-go that it would make it difficult and not worth the time. These are more of the tried and true sites that have been around a few years and gained some amount of respect in the book community. A big one you might notice missing is Goodreads. While I enjoy the idea of Goodreads, I think that it has become really spammy. I still go there for reviews but the discussion boards are far from my favorite.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Author Khaled Talib discusses development of his newest thriller "Gun Kiss"

Feature and Follow #10 (Christmas book haul)

Feature and Follow #6 (One book for life)