Book Talk: How many books can you read in between finishing one and writing a review?
A few weeks ago I wrote a little piece on my binge reading habits. I don't "binge read" a lot...as in completely forget about everything around me for days in a row while I ravage books. It usually happens right after I've been working a lot of long hours for weeks on end and I finally have a weekend to myself with no plans and not many people involved. Okay. Maybe no people involved. There are times I just want to sit by myself and not have to carry on conversation, be a host, or have to plan things to do with people...but I digress.
The past weekend was like that. I had an early work day on Friday. Got home. Changed into some comfy clothes. And then curled up in bed with my kindle and a seemingly limitless Amazon account. Not gonna lie. It was one of the best decisions I'd made in a while. Even if my Amazon bill will likely shock my pants off in a few days.
I lost track of how many books I read. I can cruise through a 200-300 pager in a few hours. With 24 hours in a day and being someone with an early wake up routine regardless of bed time, there's plenty of pages I can fit in!
As the week days rolled around I was still reading quite a few pages a night before bed. Now here it is Friday and I'm starting to tally my conquers over the past 10 days. There's a lot! We're talking at least in the double digits.
I'm not one who has to write a review over every book that I read. But I like to write a pretty good majority. 1. Because I like writing them 2. I especially want to review it if it knocked my socks off!
Normally I write a review within 2 days of reading a book and without much reading in between. Now I'm wondering if my feelings for some of the books from this week might be tainted, lost, forgotten, exaggerated...the list goes on. I still plan to write some of them this weekend. I know my memory will jog and I'll find the words I want to use for each of them once I get going. But it made me wonder how others process their reads when reviewing.
Are you someone who has to write a review immediately after finishing a book? Do you digest it for a day or two? Do you read between writing reviews? Do you ever feel that a book you thought you loved/didn't love was changed after immediately reading another book?
So many questions!
The past weekend was like that. I had an early work day on Friday. Got home. Changed into some comfy clothes. And then curled up in bed with my kindle and a seemingly limitless Amazon account. Not gonna lie. It was one of the best decisions I'd made in a while. Even if my Amazon bill will likely shock my pants off in a few days.
I lost track of how many books I read. I can cruise through a 200-300 pager in a few hours. With 24 hours in a day and being someone with an early wake up routine regardless of bed time, there's plenty of pages I can fit in!
As the week days rolled around I was still reading quite a few pages a night before bed. Now here it is Friday and I'm starting to tally my conquers over the past 10 days. There's a lot! We're talking at least in the double digits.
I'm not one who has to write a review over every book that I read. But I like to write a pretty good majority. 1. Because I like writing them 2. I especially want to review it if it knocked my socks off!
Normally I write a review within 2 days of reading a book and without much reading in between. Now I'm wondering if my feelings for some of the books from this week might be tainted, lost, forgotten, exaggerated...the list goes on. I still plan to write some of them this weekend. I know my memory will jog and I'll find the words I want to use for each of them once I get going. But it made me wonder how others process their reads when reviewing.
Are you someone who has to write a review immediately after finishing a book? Do you digest it for a day or two? Do you read between writing reviews? Do you ever feel that a book you thought you loved/didn't love was changed after immediately reading another book?
So many questions!
I'm Queen of the Sticky Pads (or less sticky enotes for ereaders). When I come across something in a book that might be addressed in a review, I slip in a note or highlight. When I'm finished and ready to write I go back and read them over. I'd like to say they are all cogent and to the point, but ofttimes I simply scratch my head and murmur, "Why the eff did I mark that?" Then I worry, that I'm missing some brilliant insight that came to me earlier. Then I eat a cookie and say the hell with it and move on.
ReplyDeleteSometimes I do that but I'm really bad about saying "oh I'll remember that when I'm writing." Kind of like everything else in life and then I forget...
DeleteI tend to write my review within 48 hours particularly if it is an advanced copy. The most I have gone is 5 books read and a crazy Monday writing up all the reviews. I do however review everything I read.
ReplyDelete48h is a good time for me. Enough to process but not enough to forget how I really felt initially. Especially if I'm reviewing for someone. So far all of these books have been ones of my choosing so I'm not too worried about reviewing them all.
Deletepersonally I like a few days, sometimes even up to a week, between finishing a book and writing a review. I like to reflect on the story and give myself time to reason why the author wrote the ending the way they did. I find I write a fairer and more honest review that right rather than just ranting my happiness or anger at a story lol
ReplyDeleteTrue. I've wrote some pretty...emotional...reviews and have gone back a week later to edit and been like was I out of my mind?! lol
Delete