Guest Post and Author Interview: Andrew Joyce (and Danny the Dog) talks about new novel Resolution: Huck Finn's Greatest Adventure

My name is Andrew Joyce and I write books for a living. Jessi has been kind enough to allow me a little space on his blog to promote my new novel RESOLUTION: Huck Finn’s Greatest Adventure. I think it’s a good book, but what do I know? Anyway, I’m kinda shy about tooting my own horn. So I think I’ll turn things over to my dog Danny—Danny the Dog. He always has a bad attitude and usually does not speak highly of me. But please understand that we co-exist as the old Soviet Union and the United States once co-existed. We tolerate each other. So without further ado, here’s Danny.

Andrew dragged me through the pouring rain so that I could be here to help him out. For a person that works with words for a living, he has very little to say in real life. He wants me to tout his book for him, but I don’t think I will. I’m in a foul mood today, so this communiqué will be short. It’s been raining for three days and three nights. One more day of this miserable weather and I’m going to have Andrew build us an ark. Well, maybe not, seeing as how we already live on a boat. We being myself, Danny the Dog and my human, Andrew.

The thing about rain I don’t like is that it’s wet. It soaks your fur; it keeps you inside when you could be out chasing cats or running down a tantalizing scent. And to top it off, it brings thunder with it. And I don’t like thunder! Another thing I don’t like about rain is that one has to go outside to do one’s “business.” Hey . . . I can hold it. I’ll wait until it’s dry outside, but Andrew insists that I go out at least twice a day. Rain or shine.

When it’s raining, Andrew puts on some sort of yellow getup that keeps him dry, but does he have one of those things for me? Nope!

For three days now, he’s taken me—against my will—outside with him in the rain. If I knew how to use a phone, I’d report him to the Humane Society. But I show him. When we come back, I jump up on the bed and roll around until I’m dry. I don’t mind wet sheets, but for some reason Andrew does.
So here I am trying to sell his book for him. And I know with a certainty that the big lummox is going to come to me when I’m done shilling for him and say, “Okay, boy. Let’s go for a walk.” And I’ll be thinking, “Okay, human; how about I just bite you instead?”

Here he comes. The next time we talk, I’ll let you know if we went out in the rain or if I bit him.
Oh yeah, I almost forgot—go out and buy Andrew’s new book and make the old guy happy.

This is Andrew again. On behalf of Danny and myself, I would like to thank Jessi for having us over. It’s been a real pleasure.

Author Interview:

Today, we’re sitting down with the authors Andrew Joyce and Danny the Dog for a joint interview, So, without further ado, let’s get started.

Thank you for agreeing to do this interview.
AJ: It’s a pleasure to be here.
DD: Me too.

Tell me a little about yourselves and your backgrounds?
AJ: I’m a writer, which surprises me greatly. For the first three years of my writing career, I never referred to myself as a writer. It was only when the royalties started coming in and I could quit my day job that I dared think of myself as such.
DD: I’m a dog.

What book or books have had a strong influence on you and/or your writing?
AJ: The works of Louis L’Amour and Robert B. Parker.
DD: The genius writings of Danny the Dog.
AJ: Excuse me Jessi, but I need to speak to Danny for a minute.
AJ: What are you doing, Danny? You don’t seem to be taking this interview seriously. You’re giving one-word answers and when asked about your favorite authors, you say yourself. I know all us writers think of ourselves as our favorite author, but you’re not supposed to say that out loud.
DD: Whatever! May we continue with the inquisition?
AJ: I’m sorry, Jessi.

That’s okay, Andrew. Danny and I understand one another. So let’s carry on. Going back to the beginning, what is it that got you into writing?
AJ: One morning, about five years ago, I went crazy. I got out of bed, went downstairs, and threw my TV out the window. Then I sat down at the computer and wrote my first short story. It was soon published in a print magazine (remember them?). I’ve been writing ever since.
DD: One day, about four years ago, Andrew went out and left the computer on. He was always complaining about how hard it is to write anything decent, so I thought I’d show him how easy it is when one has talent. Is that a long enough answer for you, Andrew?

Tell us a little bit about your writing process.
AJ: I prefer to write in the early morning hours when things are quiet. I usually get up around 2:00 a.m. and go to work. The commute is not long . . . only a few steps to my computer.
DD: I have to wait until Hemingway over there goes to bed.
AJ: By any chance are you referring to me?
DD: Yes, but only in an ironic way.
AJ: You see what I’ve got to put up with, Jessi?

Now boys, play nice. You are both professionals. What would your fans think?
AJ: You’re right, Jessi. I’m sorry.
DD: I’m the only one with fans around here. I’d say that Andrew’s been riding my coattails for years—if I had coattails. But for your sake, Jessi, I’ll try to be well-behaved.

That’s a good doggie. Do either of you have any hobbies? Or anything you like to do in your spare time?
AJ: I like to read history and do research for my next book. I also like to watch old movies from the 1930s and ’40s.
DD: My hobby is looking after his nibs here. I’m always getting him out of trouble or bailing him out of jail after one of his benders. I call him Hemingway because he drinks like Ernie did. You should see ol’ Andrew when he’s had a snoot full.

What are you two working on at the moment?
AJ: This interview.
DD: Ditto
AJ: High five, Danny.
DD: Next question, please, Jessi.
AJ: Hey Danny, don’t leave me hangin’.
DD: Pleeease, Jessi, the next question!

How do you develop your plots and your characters? Do you use any set formula?
AJ: I usually sit down to write a book with no idea where my characters will lead me. I start out with (I hope) a killer first sentence and the last paragraph of the book. Then I set out to fill the in-between space with 100,000 words. I find that the easy part. Sometimes I will bring my characters to a certain place, only to have them rebel when we get there. They’ll tell me they want to go somewhere else and take off on their own. I have no choice but to follow.
DD: That was a pretty artsy-fartsy answer.
AJ: Was not.
DD: Was too.
AJ: Was not!
DD: Was too. Was too. Was too!!!

Boys, boys, boys! If you can’t behave, I’ll have to end the interview. As a child, Andrew what did you want to be when you grew up? And, as a puppy, Danny, what did you want to do?
AJ: I never wanted to grow up, and I believe I have succeeded.
DD: I think he has, too. As a puppy, I only wanted to survive Andrew.

What would we find under your bed?
AJ: The monster that lives there.
DD: When it thunders, me (and Andrew’s monster).

If you could travel into the past or future, where would you want to go? Why?
AJ: Egypt. I’d like to see the Great Pyramid being built.
DD: The caveman days. I think it would be super-duper to be in a time before dogs allowed themselves to be “domesticated.”

What has been your worst or most difficult job?
AJ
: Some jobs I’ve had in the past have been real doozies. I’ve done back-breaking physical labor. I’ve worked as a waiter for a short spell and hated every minute of it. I worked with and breathed in chemicals that have done a number on my lungs. But the worst job I ever had was when I was eighteen. I worked at a McDonalds for one day. At the end of the shift, I walked out never to return. I didn’t care about the pay I was owed or anything else. I just wanted out of there.
DD: Looking after Andrew.

What group did you hang out with in high school?
AJ: I had no friends in high school. Still don’t . . . come to think of it.
DD: At last, Andrew has said one true thing! I, of course, had no need of schooling. I was born brilliant. Not to mention wonderful, marvelous, and good looking.

What is something that you absolutely can't live without?
DD: If you don’t mind, I’ll field this one for both of us. For Andrew, it’s vodka. For me it’s Andrew.
AJ: Aw shucks, Danny.
Thank you for stopping by. It’s been a little different. However, I believe we’ve learned a few things about your writing processes . . . and other things as well.
AJ: Thank you for having us, Jessi.
DD: Yeah, it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be.


(Blurb): It is 1896 in the Yukon Territory, Canada. The largest gold strike in the annals of human history has just been made; however, word of the discovery will not reach the outside world for another year.
By happenstance, a fifty-nine-year-old Huck Finn and his lady friend, Molly Lee, are on hand, but they are not interested in gold. They have come to that neck of the woods seeking adventure.
Someone should have warned them, “Be careful what you wish for.”
When disaster strikes, they volunteer to save the day by making an arduous six hundred mile journey by dog sled in the depths of a Yukon winter. They race against time, nature, and man. With the temperature hovering around seventy degrees below zero, they must fight every day if they are to live to see the next.
On the frozen trail, they are put upon by murderers, hungry wolves, and hostile Indians, but those adversaries have nothing over the weather. At seventy below, your spit freezes a foot from your face. Your cheeks burn—your skin turns purple and black as it dies from the cold. You are in constant danger of losing fingers and toes to frostbite.
It is into this world that Huck and Molly race.
They cannot stop. They cannot turn back. They can only go on. Lives hang in the balance—including theirs.



Author Bio:



Andrew Joyce left high school at seventeen to hitchhike throughout the US, Canada, and Mexico. He wouldn’t return from his journey until decades later when he decided to become a writer. Joyce has written four books, including a two-volume collection of one hundred and forty short stories comprised of his hitching adventures called BEDTIME STORIES FOR GROWN-UPS (as yet unpublished), and his latest novel, RESOLUTION. He now lives aboard a boat in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, with his dog, Danny, where he is busy working on his next book, YELLOW HAIR.



Connect with Andrew:
Amazon
Smashwords
Barnes & Noble
iTunes
Kobo
http://andrewjoyce76.com
Goodreads


Resolution: Huck Finn’s Greatest Adventure
http://andrewjoyce76.com

Comments

  1. Can't tell you how much I enjoyed this interview...brilliant! But I can tell you that, if I had not already been familiar with Joyce's work, this interview would have me on Amazon right now buying all his books! And I can tell you that Resolution is a page-turner, because of both the storyline and the fact that Joyce really knows how to end a chapter--every time. Thanks, Jessi, for a most entertaining guest post and author interview!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Author Khaled Talib discusses development of his newest thriller "Gun Kiss"

Feature and Follow #10 (Christmas book haul)

Feature and Follow #6 (One book for life)