Review: Stuck-up Suit by Vi Keeland and Penelope Ward


(Blurb): It started out like any other morning on the train.Until I became mesmerized by the guy sitting across the aisle.
He was barking at someone on his phone like he ruled the world.
Who did the stuck-up suit think he was...God?
Actually, he looked like a God. That was about it.
When his stop came, he got up suddenly and left. So suddenly, he dropped his phone on the way out.
I might have picked it up.
I might have gone through all of his photos and called some of the numbers.
I might have held onto the mystery man's phone for days―until I finally conjured up the courage to return it.
When I traipsed my ass across town to his fancy company, he refused to see me.
So, I left the phone on the empty desk outside the arrogant jerk's office.
I might have also left behind a dirty picture on it first though.
I didn't expect him to text back.
I didn't expect our exchanges to be hot as hell.
I didn't expect to fall for him―all before we even met.
The two of us couldn't have been any more different.
Yet, you know what they say about opposites.
When we finally came face to face, we found out opposites sometimes do more than attract―we consumed each other.
Nothing could have prepared me for the ride he took me on. And I certainly wasn't prepared for where I'd wind up when the ride was over.
All good things must come to an end, right?
Except our ending was one I didn't see coming.



Book Information:

Published: April 9th, 2016
Publisher: Amazon Digital Services, LLC
Genre: Romance
Age: Adult
Length: 328p


Review:

I was looking for a light read to decompress from work with when I ran across Stuck-up Suit. The first 1/4 of the book was pretty good. It was funny, snarky, playful, and I could tell where it was going. Which was fine -- I don't mind a straightforward book.

I expected a little more of a hold-out between the two MC as the story progressed. It moved pretty quickly and I think took away from some of the tension and fun that had just started to build between the MCs. Especially since they were portrayed as being from opposite ends of the tracks.

I didn't feel like we got to really know Soraya. She was unique and exotic -- and the 50 other descriptive synonyms for that description. She had daddy issues which hindered her romantic life and much of the book walked around these issues in the background.

As the plot progressed we find out about Graham and his past and why he's the "Mr. Big Prick" that he is today. I thought Graham's story was much more interesting than Soraya's. It stole the show for the most part. It was one of the few times where I better clicked with the mind of the "stuck-up suit" than I did with the female MC whom was sort of being dragged along with the story.

The ending was pretty cliche. Not just one trope of cliche, but every rom-com-drama trope tied into one. That's where the book really lost me. The last 1/4 I felt lost it's integrity and feeling. I ended up a casual observer of this fiasco of a relationship and ended the book feeling "meh."

It wasn't horrible by any means. I kind of knew what I was getting into before starting. But I was hoping for a little more, and think a lot more could have come from this had not so many cheesy things played out in the end. That ending blurb tag of "Except our ending was one I didn't see coming" would not be my first descriptive choice...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Author Khaled Talib discusses development of his newest thriller "Gun Kiss"

Feature and Follow #10 (Christmas book haul)

Feature and Follow #6 (One book for life)