The Dog Thief and Other Stories by Jill Kearney


This collection of short stories and a novella describes the complex relationships between people and animals in an area of rural poverty. In “Sparrows” a meth addict finds a gift to give her lonely brother. An alcoholic in “Beer Money” sneaks into his ex-wife’s house to use her shower and her bed and encounters his elderly dog. The teen aged protagonist in the “The Quest” deals with her first encounter with death. In "The Dog Thief”, the misfits of a backwoods community are confronted with the abusive behavior of one of their neighbors. A teenage delinquent in “The Angel” accidentally tells an elderly man just what he needs to hear. The stories are realistic and based on life in the backwoods of Mason County, Washington state, an area akin to Appalachia. My book was listed in Kirkus Review as one of the top one hundred indy publications of 2015.








I am an artist, and I live on an island in Puget Sound with my husband and my dogs. I work as a care-provider for disabled people and volunteer at a dog rescue. I have written a non-fiction book and three fantasies in addition to my collection of realistic short stories. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Author Khaled Talib discusses development of his newest thriller "Gun Kiss"

Feature and Follow #10 (Christmas book haul)

Feature and Follow #6 (One book for life)