Review: Do Not Disturb by Tilly Bagshawe

Do Not Disturb by Tilly Bagshawe



Honor is a lawyer who inherits her family's hotel business. Palmer's hotel in the Hamptons is one of old money. As newer age hotels and chains begin buying property around Palmers, it's up to Honor to figure out how to stay afloat in a male dominated dog eat dog industry. Of course, certain people will go out of their way to make sure that she fails at every possible turn.

I've yet to read a book about Hoteliers battling it out. So, when I found this book I thought it would be an interesting concept. And for the most part it was.

One thing that took a little getting used to with this book was all of the different POVs. There are 3 main ones (Honor and two competitors) that switch frequently. For the most part it changes each chapter, but sometimes I had to re-read a section because I thought I was reading one persons life and it turned out I wasn't. There are also a couple of extra POVs thrown in (friend/family/evil sidekick). Those are sparse though.

That being said, the POVs were not too confusing. Looking back it's actually quite an  impressive job. Tilly is able give ample background on everyone's life and explain their thoughts well. All the while, keeping it intelligent and understandable. I felt a deep connection to the many characters in the end and didn't feel as though a huge part of anyone's story/motivation was missing.

Another strange thing to me was the timeline of the book. It occurs over a period of about 10 years...which is kind of hard to wrap your head around at first. Because let's be real, we want certain people to hook up, right? And as you read you're get the feeling that they are going to cross paths any time...so you're just waiting. Then next thing you know the book jumps 6 months, a year, 4 years. And then if finally hits you like, "Wow, they've been going at this hotel war for this long?!" But in the end, it makes it more believable. After all, a hotel isn't built and made into a grand place in 6 months to a year. And the story has to build the chemistry of the characters for it feel right.

What are my bad points? Overall it was pretty well written and had a different type of story line than what I was used to. However, as is this genre, it is fairly predictable and....Spoiler alert.

READY?!

Everyone gets what they want at the end. Guy gets the girl. Girl gets her dream. Guy gets his dream. Bad guys get caught. Families are besties again. Friends get their dream jobs. Everyone ends up with a mate in life. Happily ever after!

UGH!!! I mean COME ON! Is that realistic?!? I just got done saying how the play of the story builds up over YEARS so that these characters are completely understood and so that the story feels REAL, and I get a PERFECT ending?

When (if) you read the book you'll know what I'm talking about. Because it's not that I'm upset of the fact that it was a HEA ending. It's that there were some absolutely crazy situations that I'm not quite sure how the main characters got through, but it worked out. And all of their master sneaking and spying worked out without anyone getting caught. Ever. I could go on and on. Tragedy seems to have completely evaded the Hamptons (minus how the story starts off).

Ugh.

Ratings:


 Steam ***
Characters *****
Writing Quality ****
 Plot (Originality) **

My rating:






Amazon: 4.1
Good Reads: 3.64



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Author Khaled Talib discusses development of his newest thriller "Gun Kiss"

Feature and Follow #10 (Christmas book haul)

Feature and Follow #6 (One book for life)