Review: Elite (Eagle Elite) By Rachel Van Dyken

Elite (Eagle Elite) By Rachel Van Dyken

(Good Reads) When I won the annual Eagle Elite College Scholarship lottery, I was thrilled. After all, my grandma had just died and I wanted to take care of my aging grandpa -- he couldn't be a farmer in Wyoming forever. And graduating from Eagle Elite meant opportunity.

But I wasn't counting on meeting Nixon.

Nor was I counting on the rules of the Elect.

1. Do not touch The Elect.
2. Do not look at The Elect.
3. Do not speak to The Elect.

And worst of all? Don't discover the secret they hide, because in the end, you may just realize... it's about you.


 
Review:

One word: AMAZING!

Rachel really nailed it with this one. Having read a few of hers now, I've grown to appreciate her as an author. Elite (Eagle Elite) is the first installment of the Elite series and I am definitely continuing on when the next book is out.

Where do I even start with this??

It's a story about giving up a life you were comfortable in in effort to better yourself - only to have that new life ripped out from under you repeatedly. Anyone that has had to move to a new place and try to fit in, or just start something new can relate to this in some way (finding your click without giving up who you are).

Let's be honest. All of the genres of romance/Adult/New Adult have been written. They've been re-written. This is definitely something fairly different - at least for me! Usually whenever I say that I've found something "different" I'm sure to have readers come back and say "Eh, well, it's been done before." And I'm sure (know) it has in some way or form. But, it's a good read that keeps you turing the pages and that is what matters in the end!

It has thrills, suspense, steamy scenes, and knock-out guys. What more could one want?? The best part of this book is when you find out what all of the secretiveness is about (isn't that the best part of every book?). I kind of had a feeling as I picked up on some signs leading up to the big reveal - but at no point is it a dead giveaway in the book!


The "rules" of the Elite school have you crazy smiling to yourself from the get go. By this  I mean the type you get when you want to punch someone, hug someone, cry for someone, and tell someone off all at the same time. There is a lot going on with Tracy and your emotions are on edge right with hers the entire time. When she breaks, you break. And when her smart mouth gets the best of her, you feel pride (I can very much relate to her mindset in many ways).

Even better, there is a great mix of characters and they all have different personalities. Many you start out loving until their real colors show and then you want to punch them. Others you want to punch in the face the moment you meet them...and the next....and the next...but they eventually grow on you. Because let's face it, as much as you hate that cocky bad boy in books - there's something about that rough exterior that makes you want to peel it off (among other things...) and find his heart.

Are there crazy situations? Yes. Are some of them not the most realistic? Yes. But...Is this a fantasy/action book? Yes. At least I sure hope so, because this "Elite" school comes off as the 7th ring of hell. After all, a book holding true to every aspect of a "normal" life/romance is boring. I live that, no need to remind me of it ;)

I'd recommend this to both YA and NA groups. The writing is mature as are the characters and the book will carry you away in the crazy Elite life forever. I'm a little hesitant about giving the first in a series a 5 star because I like to see how they carry out. (If I'm suddenly lost in the 2nd book about something supposedly explained in the 1st, then I guess it wasn't as good as I thought, eh?) So I'm sticking with 4.5 for now.

Ratings:
Steam (connection, some physical): *****
Character (development): *****
Writing Quality: *****
Plot (progression): *****

My rating:

I'm hesitant to give it a full 5 rating only because it is the first in the series. As an introductory book, it's hard to tell if it's properly setting you up for the rest of the installments or not. Everything for 5 stars seems to be there, and this rating will likely be adjusted as I continue on!


 
Amazon: 4.7
Good Reads:4.3



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Author Khaled Talib discusses development of his newest thriller "Gun Kiss"

Feature and Follow #10 (Christmas book haul)

Feature and Follow #6 (One book for life)