Review: Ruin by Rachel Van Dyken

Ruin(Blurb): I'm not your typical girl. I've been running away from the memories that haunt me for so long that depression has become my only comfort. I was content in the darkness...until Wes Michals offered to be my light.

I didn't know that time wasn't my ally -- that every second that ticked past was one step closer to the end of something that was beginning to mean the end of myself. He tried to warn me. He promised me all he was able to offer--each moment as it came--but it would never be enough.

Sometimes when you think it's the end, it's only the beginning. Wes thought he could save me, but in giving me everything, he ruined me. Because after one kiss, one touch, I couldn't--I wouldn't ever be the same.

And from that moment on, his heartbeat became my own.



Book Information:

Published August 11th 2013
Publisher: Rachel Van Dyken
Version: Kindle Edition
Length: 250 pages
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Age group: New Adult
 
 Review:

Rachel has quickly become one of my favorite Authors! I stumbled across her book The Bet back in May and I've quickly devoured just about every book of hers I've come across. She truly is a talented writer, and her newest work, Ruin, is no different.

What I liked
 Everything! I wasn't too sure what to expect going into it as the book blurb doesn't reveal too much, but I knew that if it was coming from Rachel it had to be good. That not knowing made it nice to read as you were constantly searching for clues as to what is going on with these characters. And when events start to unfold and secrets are spilled --- it's an emotional roller coaster!

I don't know what to say without giving away too much. I feel like the slightest hint about what I liked/didn't like will give the story away. Just know that it is a very well written book ( I would not expect any less from Ms. Van Dyken) and the characters are wonderfully developed. I will say that this book covers an emotional topic and it is done with tact -and as Rachel reveals in the closing acknowledgments - it's a book written on certain experiences. It does however have a great comedic relief factor. It's not a book that is written in such a depressing tone that it leaves you heart broken and sobbing all of the way through. And that's what brings out the emotions so brilliantly in Ruin.

What I didn't like
That it was only 250 pages. Granted, 250 pages was "all" Rachel needed to tell this wonderful story (I say that like 250 pages is nothing to write- hah!). Nothing was missing. Nothing felt rushed. I was just sad to see the story end.

Ratings:

Romance: Steamy - not too explicit of scenes
Writing quality: *****
Character development: *****
Plot development: *****

My Rating:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Author Khaled Talib discusses development of his newest thriller "Gun Kiss"

Feature and Follow #10 (Christmas book haul)

Feature and Follow #6 (One book for life)