Review: Thief (Love Me With Lies, #3) by Tarryn Fisher

 
16090981


(Blurb): Note to Self

Love is patient; love is kind.
Love doesn't boast or brag.
There's no arrogance in love;
it's never rude, crude, or indecent-it's not self absorbed.
Love isn't easily upset.
Love doesn't tally wrongs.
Love trusts, hopes, and endures no matter what.
Love will never become obsolete.
I'll fight for her.

Thief


Caleb Drake never got over his first love. Not when he got married. Not when she got married. When life suddenly comes full circle Caleb must decide how how far he is willing to go to get the aloof and alluring Olivia Kaspen back. But for every action in life there is a consequence, and soon Caleb finds out that sometimes love comes at an unbearably high price.




Warning - this is a review of a book that is part of a series. If you have not read book 1 (The Opportunist) I suggest you start with that review so that spoilers are avoided.


Book Information:
Released: July 21st, 2013
Publisher: --
Length: 273 pages
Version: eBook, Kindle
Genre: Contemporary, Romance, Drama
Age group: Adult

Review:

I fell in love with Caleb while reading The Opportunist. I fell so much in love with him that I didn't want to read about him with the red-headed Beotch in Dirty Red (Love Me With Lies, #2). Though I have heard great things about that book - mostly that Leah (Calebs wife) isn't as big as a beotch as she comes off to be in The Opportunist. But I didn't - and still don't - care. So I skipped to book 3, Thief. Call it wrong, call it what you will. But I did it. And I'm glad I did it! No regrets over here.

What I loved about it
*Sigh* Caleb can come steal my heart and be a thief any time any day. Preferably multiple times a day. Reading the blurb, you kind of get the idea that this is going to turn into some twisted love triangle - or affair I guess would be a better word. And while on the surface you can say well, if his head is thinking about someone else, then he's already cheating on his wife - you can't really hold that against Caleb. In Thief we're covering another 5+ years of life!! And all I have to say, is if you can still unequivocally love someone for that long (keep in mind the first 5 or so years in The Opportunist) then there has to be something more to it than some mind-slumming affair.

Caleb is even more himself in this book. If you read The Opportunist then you know what I'm getting at there. And I didn't feel as though I missed anything by not reading Dirty Red. The author did a great job at providing filler information when needed. I'm not suggesting you skip Dirty Red but if you happen to, I think you'll enjoy Thief with no problems.

What I didn't like
Olivia drives me nuts. She wants him. She doesn't want him. She wants him. She doesn't want him. Kudos to Caleb for sticking with his guns for, what, 10ish years now?! Holy shiBe that is a long time to put up with someone's crap! But I guess that is part of the pull of the story; wondering when people will start listening to their heart instead of their (messed up) heads.

Again, I found the timeline confusing. Because it covers such a wide range of years, what was once the present becomes the past (5 years later) and it becomes hard to wrap your head around (what does that phrase even mean?). For example, an event happens in present form. Later in the book, so many years have passed, and that event is referred to - but the characters are acting differently. Many times I had to go back and reread sections to figure out why certain things were different and discovered I was comparing events many years apart! (And it wasn't that I was confused because I skipped book 2. I had this same dislike in book 1)

Overall, Thief was a great follow up book. I really enjoyed the play of the characters and their progression through many years. Though the timeline was confusing, I'll say what I said before in my first review which is - take the "timing" at face value. If you get tripped up going between past, present, future, present, past don't worry too much about it. You'll still get the points of the story that you need to know.

Ratings:

Romance: Tension, tension, tension! and steam ;-)
Character development: ****
Plot development: ****
Plot progression: ****
Writing quality: *****


My Rating:





GoodReads: 4.58
Amazon: 4.8


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Author Khaled Talib discusses development of his newest thriller "Gun Kiss"

Feature and Follow #10 (Christmas book haul)

Feature and Follow #6 (One book for life)