Author Interview: JMJ Williamson discusses his passion for sci-fi and the inspiration behind AndroDigm Park 2067


Author JMJ Williamson has authored three science fiction novels. His latest, AndroDigm Park 2067, is a  gritty noir Sci-Fi based thriller, about the investigation into the murder of the CEO of the world’s larger cyber-tech company. His books are available on Amazon in both print and kindle format.

The Book Cove: Tell us a little bit about yourself. 

JMJ Williamson: I have always loved sci-fi movies. As producing a sci-fi movie was out of the question, the next best thing was to write sci-fi novels. In 2011, I retired from my job as an accountant in the City of London, with one of the world’ largest accountancy practices, and decided to follow my dream. Contrary to what people might think, accountants have to write a lot. And I wrote reports and lots of technical material, which would put most people to sleep. But since retiring I have put my writing skills to a different purpose. I have learned to be a storyteller. It takes time to learn these creative skills, and I admit I am still learning from reading dozens of books on story telling and screen writing, and reading other writers novels. Since retiring I have written three sci-fi novels. The first novel, ‘Collision‘, was published in 2012. It’s about the after effects of a collision between a UFO and spy plane on those caught up in the investigation. The second, ‘Alien Hothouse’, was published in 2015. It’s about a group of aliens stranded on Earth and living in a small community in a North Yorkshire village and the consequences of their rescue. The third, ‘AndroDigm Park 2067‘, is due to be published in April this year. It’s a gritty noir Sci-Fi based thriller, about the investigation into the murder of the CEO of the world’s larger cyber-tech company, who was killed during an Action Against Androids demonstration. Each novel is different. But they all are what I call speculative fiction based in the current world or near future. They are what I see that could possibly happen rather than mere fantasy.

TBC: How long have you been writing? 

JMJW: Writing -- all my life. Storytelling -- seven years.

TBC: What was the inspiration for your most recent book?

JMJW: One of my favourite Sci-Fi movies of all time was Blade Runner. It was a movie about what it means to be human. In some respects the replicants in the movie were more human than the humans. Other series like Westworld have touched on the same type of ideas. AndroDigm Park 2067 is a fusion of these ideas and much more. What is the world going to be like when we start to produce androids more intelligent than ourselves? What if immortality is within our technological grasp? How will we react? How will we behave? But it's also a story about two people struggling to deal with their own very human problems.

TBC: What was the hardest part about writing this book? 

JMJW: With me a story starts with an idea or concept, then a character who passionately wants or needs something, and then the obstacles in his/her way that create the conflict pattern we call plot. Having an idea of how the story ends, before you begin is also critical for me. Without it there is no path to follow. So what was the hardest part of the process? It was finding that path among all the competing ideas. I'm a plotter and planner. But as one general once said 'no plan survives engagement with the enemy'. It took over two years to find the story, and in that time my original plan was torn apart numerous times. I'm what you might call an iterative writer. I find the story by trial and error.

TBC: Do you often develop characters from your personal experiences or draw from that of others?

JMJW: I think all writers draw on their emotional experiences. It would be strange if they did not. That isn't to say they only write about what they know. Otherwise you would have to lock up most horror writers like Stephen King. But we all know what it's like to experience rejection, pain, anger, grief and love. These are universal experiences we all understand. Do I develop characters based on others I personally know? No. At least not intentionally. Most fictional characters I develop are Arch-types, much bigger than real life and hopefully more interesting. They are more likely to be based on movie actors or the parts they have played.

TBC: Are your comfortable writing in different genres? What is your go-to genre?

JMJW: I write the type of stories that I love to read. But fitting them into just one genre is quite a challenge at times. The genre I have chosen to describe my books as being is 'speculative fiction'. What I would describe as realistic sci-fi, but also including elements of the 'thriller' and 'action' genres. My latest novel has a 'neo noir' storyline. So you could place that story in either the Sci-Fi' or 'Crime' genre. I also invariably write a strong romantic sub-plot within the story line. But I would struggle to describe these stories as 'romance' as there is always a strong action-related main storyline. So you might say that my genre is somewhat confused. I would hope that you would read my novels and if you enjoy them place them in whatever genre you think they fit.

TBC: Is your writing genre one that you read a lot of? 

JMJW: I read a lot of sci-fi , but also absolutely love movies in this genre.










TBC: Do you have a favorite writing theme?

JMJW: Yes. I like positive themes and positive endings. Good conquering evil. I want to feel good from reading a story--not depressed.

TBC: When did you decide that it was time to take your writing public?

JMJW: The first decision was to write. That was when I retired from the accountancy profession. The decision to publish was when I thought it was good enough.

TBC: Is writing your first job? 

JMJW: It's not a job; it's a passion. When I'm not writing I'm invariably thinking about the writing. On balance, thinking about writing takes up more time than hitting the keys.

TBC: Writers block seems inevitable. Either a plot is not developing how you want or something about your character(s) feels missing. What’s something that you do to help find new inspiration?

JMJW: Writer's block is a myth. You need to understand your story before you write it. Otherwise there is no story. You need to be able to articulate it to someone before you go near a keyboard. Yes, you might run into problems in the detail or structure. But usually a good long walk will clear the head. In my view, too many competing ideas can cause problems; not a shortage of ideas.

TBC: What is your next writing project?

JMJW: I have several ideas I am currently exploring. One is a 'first contact' plot with a conspiracy element. The other is about the crew on the first manned trip to Mars. Maybe they are the same story, maybe not. I'm still working on it.

TBC: Now for one of my favorite requests - tell us a random fun fact about yourself.

JMJW: I proposed to my wife in Hyde Park, London and we've been happily married for 42 years.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Author Khaled Talib discusses development of his newest thriller "Gun Kiss"

Feature and Follow #10 (Christmas book haul)

Feature and Follow #6 (One book for life)