Review: Loosing It by Cora Carmack

Loosing It by Cora Carmack
Published October 5th, 2012

(Good Reads): Virginity.

Bliss Edwards is about to graduate from college and still has hers. Sick of being the only virgin among her friends, she decides the best way to deal with the problem is to lose it as quickly and simply as possible-- a one-night stand. But her plan turns out to be anything but simple when she freaks out and leaves a gorgeous guy alone and naked in her bed with an excuse that no one with half-a-brain would ever believe. And as if that weren't embarrassing enough, when she arrives for her first class of her last college semester, she recognizes her new theatre professor. She'd left him naked in her bed about 8 hours earlier.





Review:
  
So once again I am starting a review by saying - I was expecting so much more from Loosing It than what I got! The other reviews were raving about this deep connection and the wonderful play-out of the book. I had a hard time finding that "connection" mostly because of the writing style. It's full of slang terms such as "FML" and "OMG". Those might be acceptable had they been written out in their full forms, but they weren't. I once again felt like I was stuck in a 21-going-on-15-year-old's head - and this was part of the New Adult genre! As a 21 year old graduate, one should NOT be speaking in abbreviations (eye roll).

Now, I know I've been saying this about a lot of books lately and some people probably think I'm just being too picky and finding "personal" faults with the books rather than "legitimate" issues. (Whatever legitimate means...it's a personal opinion of a review, not science! But back to the issue...)

I'm not someone that goes completely crazy over grammar and structure (I'm sure you will find many "grammar issues" throughout my posts...). There's a time and a place for this type of writing - sentence fragments included. But if they are not improving the development of the story, then they are unneeded. (And I shouldn't start counting the number of times I notice these things because that right there tells me that the word/phrase was overused one too many times.)

Secondly, there was absolutely no romantic connection between the characters. This whole idea of romantic connection has been something I've been discussing with a lot of other bloggers/authors lately and we seem to be in agreement about it for the most part. Here's the deal...

I knew what I was getting myself into from page one. It's a "virginal college girl looking to loose her virginity to a random guy" story. It's meant to have a certain comedy factor as well as an unexpected romance factor; not a deep thought provoking piece...at least I didn't think so... However, the comedy was dry and the "romance" was exhaustively embarrassing. As a result, the sex just came off as odd and uncomfortable.

Next, How many times does Bliss need to mention that she swoons over Garrick's British accent?! I got the feeling by the end of the book that the accent was the only reason Bliss "loved" Garrick. And Garrick seemed to have no respect for his job and the professionalism that it required. He seemed all too willing to throw caution to the wind over this girl with no second thought as to how that could affect everyone involved. Maybe I'm just too cautious?? I guess I just like the way Peter (my hero from the Damaged series) handles this type of situation better.  

(I suggest checking out my awesome reviews for Damaged and Damaged 2 ;-] )

My last personal peeve about this book is the fact that Garrick was called a professor. I know, I know - this is probably a stupid comment on my part. But, this happens in SO many books! I'm not just calling this book out on it. Becoming a Professor doesn't happen over night, folks! Call me crazy, but I had a hard time believing that this 20-30 something Garrick just waltzed in off the streets (literally) as a Professor! Really, it's not that big of a deal, but it's kind one of those straws added to the camels back. Again, I digress...

I'm giving this book 3 glasses simply because it's a decent book. It has a pretty common story line but the characters, situations, and setting were interesting. There are some humerus moments, and in the end Garrick really is a great guy that is swoon worthy - British accent and all. I just wish there had been a little more beneath the "comedy virgin" factor.

If you're looking for something with depth, this is not it. The romance "connection" and "steam" factor are decent if you can get into the characters.

Ratings:

Romance: ***+
Steam: ***+
Character Development: ***+
Character Connection: ***+
Writing Quality: ***+
Plot Progression: **** (it felt a little rushed/stagnant in some spots, but overall was pretty good)

My Rating:

 


 


 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Author Khaled Talib discusses development of his newest thriller "Gun Kiss"

Feature and Follow #10 (Christmas book haul)

Feature and Follow #6 (One book for life)